Quick Links

Student Grievances

Martin Community College desires to resolve all student concerns and grievances in a fair and rapid manner and in a non-threatening atmosphere. Students have the right to grieve when they have reason to believe that a condition, situation, or an action affecting them is unjust, inequitable, and/or a hindrance to effective performance. A grievable action is an action that is in violation of written campus policies or procedures or constitutes arbitrary, capricious, or unequal application of written campus policies and procedures. A description of the "Student Grievance Procedure" is provided in the Martin Community College Career Catalog available on this Web site.

Student Complaints

If you were unable to resolve a complaint through the institution's grievance procedures, please review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print and complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF), and submit the complaint to:

Dr. Lisa M. Chapman
North Carolina Community College System
5016 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-5016

You may call or e-mail with questions or for more information: (919) 807-7096. The System Office fax number is (919)-807-7173.

Out of State Students

Students enrolled in distance education courses at Martin Community College while residing outside the state of North Carolina who wish to register a concern or grievance should follow the "Student Grievance Procedure" as written in the Martin Community College Career Catalog (available at www.martincc.edu). If the concern or grievance cannot be resolved internally, students may register their grievance with the appropriate state approving agency. Links to state approval agencies and/or information about various state complaint processes are available at http://www.sheeo.org/sites/default/files/Complaint%20Process%20Links%2012-2012.pdf.

Student Records and Privacy

Students who believe that their rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act have been violated should discuss their concerns with the Dean of Academic Affairs and Student Services and/or the President of the College. However, students, if they wish, may file a complaint directly with the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Dept. of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. S.W., Washington, DC 20202-5920, Phone 202-260-3887. A complete copy of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act as printed and released by the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare is on file in the Student Services Office with the Registrar and the Dean of Academic Affairs and Student Services.